Remembering Kelly

This website is devoted solely to purpose of remembering Kelly Boyce Hurlbert. We are setting up a donation account through Paypal that will help with hospital, funeral service, and Paul. This site will be updated constantly through out the next few days. The service is going to be held at F&M park between State and Washington Street at 2pm on Thursday July 11.

Paul and Kelly on the happiest day of their lives. Paul and Kelly on the happiest day of their lives.

In order to honor the life of Kelly a great amount of coordination is required with her friends and family. We greatly appreciate your patience at this time and please know that we are doing everything we can to get this web site up and running.

Donate to the Paul Hurlbert Benefit Fund here

Paul Hurlbert Benefit Fund

You can also donate to the Paul Hurlbert Benefit Fund at any Traverse City State Bank starting now.

Thank you to all of the designers and web developers who have contacted us over the last few hours. We are reading your emails. We have passed the site along to Maggie Smith a very close friend of Kelly’s and she has written a beautiful obituary. I am positive Maggie will do a great job with the site and please feel free in contacting us with your idea’s.
Thank you all so much for your support.

Trackback from your site.

Comments (99)

Barbara Reneaud

My sincere condolences to the family of a beautiful young woman, that appears to have been so blessed to have been loved dearly by a devoted husband. You were very fortunate to have expierenced that sort of love, if only for a short time. May peace be with you through love, friends, family and your music.
    B.

Denise Conrad

My heart and prayers go out to the family of Kelly. I pray for peace and closure for you. I hope you find out who committed this terrible crime. I didn’t know her personally, but only met her parents in passing many years ago. She has been taken before her time and it is such a horrible shame. Again, I pray for all of you to have peace.

chris & vita morse

So sorry. Cannot express how much our family hopes this person is found and brought to justice. Will check back tomorrow for paypal information.

Tammy VanVreede

My heart breaks for this beautiful couple and the tragic loss of Kelly’s life. I have never met Kelly or Paul, but the loss is felt so strong throughout this community. Our prayers, love, and support are with you.

Julie Crawford

Pauly, I am so sad for your loss, my heart breaks for you. I only knew Kelly for what seamed like a minute, but I will miss the light she brought where ever she went. You are in our thoughts and prays. Should you need anything you need only ask, from dog walking to dish washing, now or six months from now, just say the word.

Jennifer Anderson

Offering my heart and deepest condolences to Kelly’s friends and family. Though I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting her I can’t seem to get this tragedy out of my mind, how she’d been taken so callously without rhyme or reason. Whoever committed this despicable crime will be caught; it’s just a matter of when. I know there are no words that will suffice or ease your pain but just know that we are out there, vigilant and looking for clues as to who did this. My thoughts are with all of you.

Jason Rehahn

I only met Kelly a couple times but I could see the love Paul and Kelly shared through all of the wonderful pictures Paul posted. My thoughts and prayers are with Paul and the rest of Kelly’s family and friends.

Shawnda Littlebear

I would like to express my condolences to Kelly’s husband, family and her friends. It sounds like she was a much loved, bright, wonderful woman. I have never met Kelly or Paul but after all the posts that I have read it sure sounds like heaven has themselves a beautiful angel. They must of needed all the good that Kelly stood for up there. I know her loved ones will miss such a wonderful lady but rest assured, she is smiling down on all of you. Remember your good times with Kelly and she will always be with you.

Thoughts and Prayers to all.

Nichole Gradel

Our hearts ache so heavy for you Paul. We were home visiting family in Elk Rapids when we heard! Although we don’t know you, we will continue to pray for comfort and guidance. Remember to lean on those close to you, and that even those that don’t know you are here too. God bless you and your family!

Kay Hall

This is so tragic that it’s hard to even think it through. I am so sorry and so sad. I can offer my prayers and love to the family that in all of this you find peace. I’m gratefull we can help financially. If you need help with anything else I am here.

Kaitlyn

You may also make donations at North Peak brewing co.
    Kelly was an awesome gal and she and Pauly have the best love and relationship I have ever seen, they are truly each others half, heart and soul. My heart breaks with this news and many prayers have and are being said. I know that we will catch whoever did this and bring Kelly’s death to justice and give Pauly and their families a bit of peace. We love you Pauly and all of North Peak will be there Thursday. Xoxo

Debbie

To Kelly’s family of loved ones and all her amazing friends and loving husband, I lost my daughter in a car accident seven years ago, She was 19 and had just finished her first year of college to become a teacher. all lives will be changed and you have to learn to live with a disability, A new normal, Be kind to yourself, you will forget a lot, you will cry and sob a lot, it’s o.k. and if someone tells you EVER it is time to move on you slap them upside the side of their head because that is just not possible, Talk of her often and soon smiles will end with those tears.She will always be the wind in your face and the sun in your hair I was blessed to have known Kelly, she worked for me at Express and had such a beautiful spirit I will miss you Kelly and someday see you on the other side little angel Debbie Carnevale

peggy.orth.7@facebook.com

You have lost the love of your life, but your life will go on.
      May your tears help you grieve and let the love of others help you.
      Never, ever forget her. She is a part of your heart.
      Someday you will be ready to open your heart, you will know when
      The time is right.

Katie Whittaker

I appreciate your comments Debbie!! I left a similar one about hoping people do not tell Paul to “move on and forget” You do forget things, cry, find a new normal, cry again and again. I lost my husband to a drunk driver 6 years ago and it is still hard to have a life without him. Sometimes I feel like I am living with an illness and trying to cope. Yes I know I must go on in my life, however I will never forget how he adored and cherished me and our special love. People are uncomfortable when we talk (or cry) about our loved ones who have past on….we as a society have to find a way to get over that!! Our loved ones have helped us become the people we are today and why would we want to forget them? Does one think that if we don’t think of that loved one, it will lessen our pain? There will always be a part of our heart and soul that is missing until we meet them again in heaven.

Jessica

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who knew this beautiful young woman. Though I did not get the honor to know her, I know others that did and have quickly come to realize heaven gained one of earths best. I have been sharing as much as possible in seeking answers or clues to the capture of the individual that caused this senseless tragedy. I will continue to have Kelly’s loved ones in my thoughts and prayers for much time to come. With heartfelt condolences, may Kelly rest in peace.

Kelli McGuire - Blaser

Dear Paul, I remember you from Bobby and Steff’s wedding and how happy and joyful you were. I took quite a few pictures of you because you kind of stood out. I’m so grieved for you and your Kelly. I have been praying for you ever since I heard the terrible news. There are no words I know to console you, I can only say my heart breaks for your loss. I promise I will keep you in my prayers daily for God to bring you comfort in time, that maybe some of that comfort will come in the form of family and friends who love and care about you. Know also that there are others you may not know personally like me who really do care. I pray also that the person who is responsible for doing this to your sweet wife, to be brought to justice. Cling to your family and friends. Let them be there for you. Even if it is just to be quiet with you in the same room. Sending love your way, God bless you Paul.
    Kelli McGuire – Blaser

Dawn D.

My heart breaks for Kelly, her husband, her family and friends. It makes me ill to think someone could do this to a person. I didn’t know the family but have cried for them. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Remember the Serenity Prayer as you are dealing with this situation. God bless you all and may you find some comfort and peace during this knowing that so many others in the community are praying for you all.

Aimee Nye

When I heard this horrifying news my heart broke. Then when I seen the wedding picture of you two, I could see how much you meant to each other. Its true love. I cannot imagine the pain you are going through, but you and your family are in our prayers. The police detectives will bring down the person who did this. God is always there and will eventually bring forth who did this to Kelly. Stay strong and believe.

Andy DeNoyer

Paul, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. If there is anything that we can do for you please let us know. we are here for you no matter what. Love You Brother

Ty and Johanna Schmidt

Even though we both shared Washington Street and lived only a block apart, I never met Kelly. I regret not taking the time to introduce myself. She sounds like an amazing person. Please let Paul know that the neighborhood is thinking of him and that we are here to help should he need anything.

Doris Winslow

Dear Paul, family and friends of Kelly, my deepest condolences to you all. May the smiles Kelly shared with you all, and the love she gave, keep with you during this sadness. Hearing of your loss has touched me deeply. I am so happy to know she was loved so strongly by you and those she was around. I have no words to console you, only that you all are in my prayers for comfort. The person who did this is out there somewhere scares me for others. Life is precious, Love for someone so wonderful, and knowing we have an individual who doesn’t know this, and living among us is frightening. Your pain is mine and is shared by many. May God be with you and your family. And may your friends give you comfort during this tragedy. ~Doris W.

Emily

I am heartbroken by this tragic event. My thoughts are with the family and friends of this young women. Hold her in your hearts and know that your community grieves with you and wants justice for Kelly.

Kathleen Commins

I went to high school with Kelly and her brother. I didn’t know her, but I know she was loved. RIP Kelly and show us, talk to us, who did this to you so that we can catch them before tragedy strikes again.

Amanda Ferrin

I Had The Pleasure Of Working With Kelly At Red Lobster In 2006. She Was An Incredible Woman, Always Smiling And Always Willing To Help Anyone That Needed It. I Was And Still Am Sickened By The News Of Her Passing. Gone Way Too Soon:( I Hope And Pray The Police Catch The Sick Individual Who Took Her From So Many That Loved Her! Praying That Her Husband, Family And Dear Friends Find Some Comfort In Knowing That She Is A Part Of God’s Greater Plan And Cherish The Memories That Each Of You Had With Her!

Alex Ogden

I also worked with Kelly in 05-06 at red lobster. She was always so full of life and a great person. My love and prayers go out to her family and god bless her now she is in Gods gracious hands. I really hope we find the criminal you had to end her life that night. God bless!

Pete & Dawn Young

Pauly, what a tragedy ….We couldn’t believe this bad news. We’ve known you for some time- From serving at NP. and catching your awesome drumming at Kilkenny’s. Although we didn’t know Kelly personally, we know she brought great joy to your heart. This is such a sad and senseless crime. Our thoughts and payers are with you, and your family.

Kate Kerr

Though I met Kelly only in passing, this tragic event has been on my mind since I heard. Our area is so special and unique because communities bond together here: Paul, you will never be alone. You, your family, and friends, have the support and love of each and every one of your fellow citizens. Justice will be brought to the individual who took your great love away from you and you will always have a hand to hold, shoulder to lean on and a community that will be with you every step the way. May you find peace in the journey ahead.

Tanya Anderson

Kelly was one of my best friends when I was a little girl. Because I moved away we lost touch for a long time. Through facebook we were able to connect again. She is an amazing woman. I worked with Paul at ruby Tuesdays. These two were true soul mates, perfect for each other. My heart breaks for Paul and both of their families. I pray that whoever did this comes forward or someone who knows something comes forward. She was taken way to young. She’ll be watching over everyone now. Thinking of all of you.

Gabe and Kristen Talaga

We never met Kelly but we live on Washington Street and are fellow bike riders. No doubt we shared a passing smile or a good morning at some time. The neighborhood and community is grieving. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of this beautiful soul. Please know your community is here for you and we support you.

Marti Alvarez

This is a sad time in our community but I cannot imagine how difficult this time is for Kelly’s husband Paul and all of her family and many many friends. My peace I offer to you and many spiritual hugs. Sweet Kelly walks on streets paved in gold and gentle breezes surround her. (((hugs)))

K Dekker

My thoughts and prayers go out to Kelly and her family and friends. Hopefully whomever is responsible for this heartbreaking act will come forward. Although that will not help the sadness in her passing, it will help the community, her family, and her friends feel that justice was found for her.

Curt C

Our family is so saddened by Kelly’s death and our hearts and thoughts are with Paul and their collective family and friends. Please know that our neighborhood, our City and many many others are deeply affected by this senseless act. Stay strong.

Cindy Anderson

What a difficult time for Kelly’s husband and her family and for our community. Just from the photos you can see what a incredible spirit was taken. Celebrate her life, no matter how short. The killer will be found and brought to justice. The hate for that person cannot overshadow the good in the people of this community ,the families effected, or recognition of a beautiful young woman that will be forever in our hearts.

Corey and Julia Phelps

My wife and I met Paul and Kelly a week ago Saturday for the first time. They had just arrived to the Cherry Festival from a wedding. They were such a vibrant and happy couple who seemed so deeply in love. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Paul. Stay strong.

Melanie & Jim Harker

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Paul and all of Kelly’s friends and family!! We pray that the Lord brings you strength, comfort and peace.

Neil Washburn

I love you Paul.

J Shannon

Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time. I do not know Kelly or Paul but my heart aches for you. Unfortunately I know what it is like to lose a loved one at the hands of someone else. The pain is unbearable at times and difficult to comprehend but your love for her will get you through. Love always prevails over evil.

Gina Smith

Paul, so sorry for your loss of Kelly. I miss her very much. I worked with her at the omelette shoppe. My daughter Jennifer went to school with her. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and everyone else’s lives that she lite up with her presence. I will see you on Thursday.

Stephanie Burns

We send you our heartfelt sympathy and healing prayers to Paul and the Hurlbert and Boyce families. This horrible tragedy has affected this entire Traverse City community.
    We live in a safe and respectable town. This isn’t a high crime area. Its totally insane to loose such a beautiful person. So very sorry for your loss. The killer who commuted this horrific crime will be found and brought to justice. Peace be with Kelly and her family.

Jennifer

I’m a TC native living elsewhere who remembers many a ride down Washington street into downtown. I’ve never met Paul or Kelly, but I am affected, saddened, horrified, and disgusted by the selfish person’s behavior who stole this beautiful woman from her family, friends, and community. My sincerest wishes for comfort and that this awful excuse for a human (whomever he or she may be) is prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.

Debra Engler

So sorry for the family’s loss ,losing Kelly is something I can understand.kelly s family if you need to talk I hope to be able to help you.i been where you are the police will do everything they can do to solve this.rip Kelly prayers to her family.

haley

My prayers go out to you and the family. I may not have known her but by the pictures she seemed so full of life. I hope you get justice and peace.

Ashley Roper

I had the pleasure of working with Kelly at Red Lobster many years ago. She was such a genuinely all-around beautiful person. I will be praying for peace for her family & friends in this horribly sad situation.

“The lord is close to the broke hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit”

Tricia

My thoughts and prayers go out to Kelly’s husband Paul and their whole extended family. I have never met either of them, but from all the postings I read she will truly be missed. Another angel has her wings. God Bless all of you, her friends and family, and may God wrap you in his arms and give you his peace.

Lynda

My thoughts and prayers are with Kelly’s husband, family and friends. I also pray that the person/people responsible will be found soon!!!

May God comfort you all now and always

Cara & Kevin York

There are no words that Kevin and I can come up with to help console Pauly & their families.

Kelly was and always will be a HUGE part of our life. I met Kelly while working at Red Lobster about 8 years ago. Her personality was one that you couldn’t help but be attracted to. She had an amazing laugh, smile, and zest for life. Her personality was addicting, it was like you couldn’t get enough of Kelly- she was SO much fun, so bubbly, happy, and FULL of energy.

I ended up moving in with Kelly and our other fabulous, beautiful, loving friend- Crista Hebel. The amount of fun, laughs, memories we made was absolutely amazing!! I was having the time of my life w/ those girls.

Kevin met Kelly while she worked at the Buckle (the same time as her working at Red Lobster) – she was a HARD worker, multiple jobs, all while meeting many people and rubbing off her positive vibes on each and every one of them. She told me one day she’d like to introduce me to someone that she worked with, her manager (Kevin). We met, fell in love, and 5 months later, we were engaged! Kelly gave Kevin and I love, the type of love we always knew we wanted, it just took meeting Kelly to have her set us up. We married June 28, 2008 & of course Kelly was a bridesmaid in our wedding. She was THE person that made our wedding possible!! How do you thank somebody for helping find the person you’re going to marry, and end up having a family with? That is the best gift you could ever give anybody, and she gave it to us.
    Kelly is the pillar of our marriage. If it weren’t for her life, we wouldn’t have our love & our beautiful children.
    When we went to Pauly and Kelly’s wedding we were so happy for them. They were so blessed to have each other and have that type of TRUE love.
    The love they have and always will have for each other is amazing. We were in awe of them, so in love, so happy. They had what SHE gave US.

There is no better couple than Pauly and Kelly. The love the shared was one of a kind. Our hearts are hurting every day for Kelly, Pauly, his family, her family, and all of their friends.

I just wanted to take a moment to share my wonderful story of how Kelly has so positively impacted our lives and how much we will miss her. She will always be one of the most important people we will ever know. Our love for her will stand strong and keep reminding us how great, inspiring, wonderful, smart, beautiful she was. Our hearts are forever thankful for Kelly Boyce Hurlbert.

Remember to love,
    Cara & Kevin

Heather

Although I do not know you, my thoughts and prayers are with you!
    What a tragedy! Since I have heard about this horrible accident I have been praying the police find the person who is behind all of this.
    May you find peace and comfort in the days ahead.

PJ

I worked with Pauly at North Peak and Kelly would come in and eat and visit she was always so nice to me and i knew what her and Pauly had was something special truly a tragedy my prayers and heart go out to Pauly and their families may god always look upon his daughter REST IN HEAVEN RIH Kelly Hurlbert may justice be done

Amber P

Sending love and prayers out to your friends and family. <3 I never had the joy of meeting Kelly but many of my friends knew her. May peace be with you all.

Fr.Mikowski

May I express my condolences to Paul and family and friends of Kelly.
    I do hope they find justice for Kelly, I will personally appear to the
    courts when they do bring who ever did this to such a NICE person!
    I will be in attendance of the service set for July 11th.

“Dear Lord be with Kelly; accept her into heaven and bless all her family and friends;
    comfort them in this time of real need. Be next to them when they call on you.
    Wipe their tears of sadness. Remind them that Kelly is there next to them.”

Tell them my poem O lord…
    “When you feel the wind Kelly is
    standing next to you. when you see the
    Sun rise she is with you. When you smell the
    blossoms in the morning Kelly is near.
    When you hear the birds; Kelly is with you.
    She is within you, your HEART.
    Never is she parted from you and she hears your crying and
    see’s your sadness; she is there next to you.
    “Kelly Rest In Peace”

Poem in Honor of Kelly
    Poem By: Lee Kenji Mikowski

Annette Schneider

I didn’t know Kelly or you either Pauly, but my heart breaks for you just the same. Such a senseless tragedy. I hope and pray this person/ persons? Is caught and brought to justice. May God bring all of the family and friends peace & comfort during this most difficult time. God Bless

Bevin

Pauly,
    I do not know you, but I don’t need to. I have friends hurting because Kelly is gone, and my heart is broken because of that. Just know that there are many people in the community sending good thoughts and vibes your way, and we are so sorry for your loss. I can’t believe things like this happen in our little world. Much peace!

Kristin Round/Diotte

It is a shame that in light of tradgedy it brings people together, but inevitably it does. The two of you shared what I view as an amazing relationship. Full of love, fun, freindship, and togetherness.I believe God will show the truth in this traggic ending of a life and bring peace to this family.Paul hold tight to your positive energy and memories of her dont let this take away the beuty I see in your eyes as you looked into hers . You two seemed like an incredible force together ,and she still remains with you always as your angel. No words can say sorry for your loss. God Bless

Kristie Pahl (Richmond)

I worked with Kelly at Red Lobster in TC. She was always smiling, happy and bubbly! She never have a bad thing to say about anyone! She had a great lust for life and directly/indirectly inspired the people around her to be better people and never judged those who weren’t! Kelly is STILL inspiring people as the community of friends, family and STRANGERS are pulling together money and resources to catch the guilty culprit! I have never seen this kind of support in any of the communities that I have lived in, TC included. That speaks to the kind of person that Kelly was! I never knew Paul but my heart breaks for you! Kelly is a great woman and will live on in your heart! My deepest condolences to the Boyce and Hurlbert families. You are all in my thoughts and heart!

Becca Piazza

Sending thoughts and prayers to Pauly and the families, friends and others who knew Kelly. I had the pleasure of meeting her a few times, but my fondest was years ago on a tubing trip with some of my fellow co-workers from North Peak. She was beautiful, nice to everyone, and a free spirit who enjoyed a day in the sun followed by a walk with Pauly on the dunes. Even at this time, it was obvious the love they had for each other. This is how I will remember Kelly, and I will pray for healing and strength for all those who have been touched by this.

mary

Bicycle Procession: Would it be ok to take part in just the procession on Thursday in memory of Kelly? I did not know Kelly but I am a resident of her neighborhood. Although I would not attend the memorial service, I would like to participate in the procession in her honor.

mikeymoe237@mac.com

We would love to have you Mary. Thank you!

Kate

Paul, Family and friends…my heart breaks for you…I did not know Your lovely wife, but I can see the love for each other in your pictures, and the light in her life….sending a million prayers your way and justice for Kelly. God Bless!

Alexis Wittman, Northport and Portland

Paul, and family —

The hardest thing ever.

Grief is a huge boulder you’ll have to carry for a while. In time and with the love of good friends, it will slough off and get a bit smaller. Eventually you’ll be able to set it down and watch TV, or catch a movie, or shop for groceries… It will diminish slowly but one day, it will be like a precious stone you carry in your pocket. It will always be there – to bring out and weep over. In truth, grief is just masking the great love you have for Kelly. THAT is real, that is true. That remains.

Our community is sending so much love your way these first few days…please know that. Kelly is much loved. So are you.

Candace Sterling

Though I did not know Kelly, I did know about her, as I worked with her Grandmother Boyce, a special character in her own way. Yes, there WAS delight !
    As I read about this terrible tragedy and lovely young woman, I am glad to know their relationship endured- even though MaryAnn passed long ago.
    May you all continue on in Love…it’s the best Life has to offer, and indeed Kelly knew all about that

Cathy

I didn’t know either Kelly or Pauly, but am heartbroken just the same. From the pictures and comments I can see that they share a true love. Such a tragic event to separate them, I only hope and pray that the ones that loved and knew her can find some kind of comfort.

Emily Esch

Live a life of fulfillment and happiness, a life of no regrets- make your dreams realities. Be the good- inspire the world and leave a footprint on this earth for all to follow. Give your heart to others give everything you’ve got.. And always-

Remember to Love.
    Kelly taught this world to do all of that and more. There is no other brighter star in the sky

Forever missed and always inspired by you Kelly.

-Emily

Annie Campbell

My heart aches for Pauly, Kelly’s family, her friends, and our community. May her beautiful soul live on through each and every one of us. Sending my deepest condolences, much love, comfort, strength, and peace…

Robin Fitzgerald

I’m so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you Paul, and to all her family and friends. I pray that all those in our community keep their eyes, ears, and minds open to finding the person responsible for all the pain and suffering this senseless act has created.

Christina

The evil coward who did this is known by someone. May grace and humanity prompt them to come forward! Many people whom i love live in this neighborhood. The sicko is still out there.

Bill Clark

Our family is shocked and deeply saddened that this type of atrocity is possible, here or anywhere. The person responsible robbed the world of the many remaining years of her life, robbed the people who loved her of her company and robbed the people who did not yet know her of the same joy. The people in this town are strong though, and they are good. The random murder of one of our neighbors is not acceptable and I am confident that we will come together in a way that finds the monster who killed her and then become even stronger as a community; one that does not forget Kelly, and one that never allows this to happen to anyone else’s daughter, sister, wife, mother, friend, etc. again.

Joleen McCain

“My candle burns at both ends
    It will not last the night;
    But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
    It gives a lovely light.”
    ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

I was not as close to Kelly as some of you, nor did I enjoy the privilege of sharing years of her brilliant smile, but what I can surmise from the little time I’ve known Kelly is that she had a light around her that burned so brightly, so intensely, so radiantly, that it was impossible not to feel her glow.

Kelly burned her candle at both ends—she worked hard, she loved deeply and she filled every moment with laughter. I am at a loss when recalling a time in which I saw her and she wasn’t smiling, laughing or dancing. Quick with a smile, kind word or compliment, the first one to reach out to invite you into her world of love and laughter or pull you out onto the dance floor, she had a way about her that made you feel as if she was blessed to be in your presence. When Kelly and Pauly offered to watch our dog, George Henry, while we were out of town last weekend, she made it seem as if we were doing her the favor. She made it a point to reassure us that he fit right in with their pack and to tell us how she had fallen in love with George Henry.

And honestly, love is the heart of the matter. Kelly was in love with life, and most of all, with her husband, Pauly. If you were blessed to witness the love they have for one another, then I do not have to tell you it is truly an inspiration. To see the two of them lost in each other’s gaze, hearts and limbs entangled on the dance floor, hands linked with knowing smiles…it was like nothing else existed; they had discovered a wonderful secret : unconditional love. Perhaps this is why it is all too much to swallow.

Yet, just as stars that have burned out in the cosmos go on casting their light on Earth for millions of years afterward, Kelly’s ray of light still shines on this community. I haven’t been more proud of to be a part of this extended circle of friends and family, as we wrap ourselves and our hearts around Pauly and her family. It isn’t surprising that, even in her absence, Kelly is still teaching us how to love.

Christina

This is beautiful. I didn’t know Kelly as well as a lot of people either, but your words describe my feelings as well. Much love.

Cheryl Waisanen

Pauly and family of Kelly:
    My prayers are daily that you will be met with the “peace that passes understanding” at this time. There is no way to describe the pain that you are feeling, but God is good and will help you if you let him. Peace to you Pauly, I don’t know you yet, but my heart breaks for you just the same. So many friends, family and TC strangers have you deep in their hearts right now and hopefully that will give you hope.

H

I will always remember Kelly as that effortlessly beautiful girl who lit up the room. Her kindness and goodness were a genuine force, and she made so many of my days brighter. I loved the way she laughed– her tiny frame would shake top down. She had the most genuine appreciation for all things and all people.

We’ll miss you Kelly <3

Holly Wilson

Kelly, I can’t believe this happened to you. Pauly, I can’t believe this is happening to you. Family and friends of Kelly and Pauly, I can’t believe this is happening to you. Is this for real? It seems like a nightmare. Isn’t it time to wake up? I think about all of you everyday, trying to grasp this horrible reality. I cry for you all. I am a native to Traverse City and my husband and I have always loved Washinton Street. It is the street to live on, if we had the money! I drove down my favorite street today, on my way home from work like I do sometimes, then I found myself turn onto Railroad. The details reeling through my mind and I came upon a bike wrapped in white propped up near a post. Flowers decorated all along the base and I felt a rush of emotion. I cry for a young woman, a husband, parents, people I do not know. Everyday, I pray for you all to have some kind of strength and peace in you to live through this. As you can see from all these postings, your community loves you and grieves with you. Please don’t give up on God during this horrendous tragedy, He will get you through it. He will lift you up and has the strength to carry you through, in all of this dispair. And I pray God will bring this person forward and there will be justice.

karen dunnam

Here is a photo of the ghostbike, installed today.

Karen

Pauly, I met you only a few times when you sat in on the Conga with Maybe August. Come to think of it, we may never have actually met but my husband is in the band and they LOVED playing with you! I am shocked and saddened by what has happened and want you to know you are in my thoughts & prayers. I want to pray for revenge, but instead I will pray for two things. First, that you will always feel the love of your life and her radiant spirit everyday. Second, that it will make you smile. No one will ever take that away.

J

Kelly was so beautiful, inside and out. I can’t think of a single time when she wasn’t laughing or smiling, and she always had something kind to say. The love she and Pauly shared, and will share forever, radiated from her and you could see it in the way she looked at him. We will miss her so much but she’ll always be shining down on us, especially Pauly, just like she shone in the lives of so many in her time here.

“A golden heart stopped beating,
    Two working hands at rest,
    God broke our hearts to prove to us,
    He only takes the best”

Sending love to Kelly, Pauly, and both families.
    Forever in our hearts.

• $20K Reward Offered For Info About Michigan Hit-And-Run Death|Sportz Newz

[…] Despite the dearth of information, Hurlbert’s friends and family are desperately hoping someone out there knows something. Maybe it’s a body shop that has seen the damaged vehicle; maybe it’s an acquaintance of the person responsible. And a website has been posted to memorialize her here. […]

Lori A Walker

To Kelly’s Family and Friends

I met Kelly Boyce Hurlbert at Redlobster when I moved from Indianapolis Indiana to Suttons Bay Michigan. I met the greatest bunch of girls I could ever imagine, they all welcomed me with open arms and kindness. Kelly stood out with that laugh and unmistakable “snort” if you ever heard it! She had the best smile and work ethic of any person I have known. She was all business at work but don’t get me wrong she could get you in fits of laughter.
    I regret not being able to spend any time with her out of work. I will miss her bouncy personality and the way she lit up any room she was in. I pray for her family and friends for closure to this tragedy and I wish I could be with you all to celebrate Kelly as she would have wanted us to:)

Love Lori

Elizabeth Larson

To a wonderful and special young lady, Kelly. You will always be remembered as the joyful, cheerful, kind, loving and beautiful person you were. To be around our crazy family, that can be a challenge, yet you flourished with ease and grace. You are dearly missed. Paul I love you and you are continuously in my thoughts and prayers.

Michelle

I wish my life could have been forever changed from having met Kelly, a spirit clearly as bright as the sun. But alas it is changed by this tragic and senseless event. My heart is broken for a woman, her husband, and a host of family and friends I’ve never met. They say something good always comes from something bad. I don’t know who “they” are, but I hope they are right for everyone whose lives she touched. Blessed be.

Mary

Thank you Kelly’s family for letting your City grieve with you today.

Courtney

Although I did not know Kelly personally, I truly believe based on the community support and all of the positive comments about her she was truly a beautiful soul. On the way home from work today, the song “See You Again” by Carrie Underwood came on the radio. I had heard the song several times, but in this moment of listening to the words, thinking of the tragedy that had just happened, I couldn’t help but feel an overwhelming wave of emotion come over me that brought me to tears. I cannot even begin to imagine what Kelly’s husband, family, and friends are going through. Although the world lost a beautiful soul just try and remember these lyrics:

“I will See you again,
    This is not where it ends
    I will carry you with me,
    Until I see you again”

My deepest sympathies, thoughts, and prayers for the family

Bill Clark

I went to the memorial today and it was moving how much each of her friends and family members knew exactly how to treat each other and other human beings.

Can you do me a favor and remove my post from yesterday? I talked too much about the evil of the action but now I do not feel that my anger toward the person who killed her belongs on a site that is devoted to love.

There is another time for that, but today and this web site should consist of what I have learned was Kelly’s spirit of happiness, understanding, and love towards others. Thank you to her friends and family who have taught me something today. Please leave this message off the board too, I just did not have a better way of contacting you to remove my previous post.

Holly Wilson

I thought about that too, when I posted my heavier thoughts. But I guess, its the roller coaster of emotions ourselves are going through. And I think many people need/want a way to express condolences to Paul, friends and family of Kelly.

Kelly and Paul’s wedding photographs remind me of what would be in an art gallery. Classic, whimsical, energetic, unpretentious, funny, spunky, happy. The photos are such a representation of love, life, and sharing of the two. I am so happy that Kelly and Paul shared this love and life and had may friends and family. Remember to love! We must live by this! Thank you Kelly, thank you God for Kelly’s life.

Stacy

Kelly introduced to me to the woman of my dreams. She was always supportive and never questioned our immediate bond. She taught me to have faith in my relationship and to trust our love; to be encouraging and forgiving. Anyone who knew Kelly & Pauly were envious of their relationship; it’s what we all strive for.
    We did this silly high/low of our day before starting work some days and I remember had Kelly & Paul some disagreement; she just smiled while telling us the worst part of her day. She just blew it off because she knew in her heart their love would fix whatever silly issue they were having. She was a beautiful person on the outside but even more so on the inside!

Sarah Solowiej

My sincerest condolences to you, Paul. I didn’t know Kelly, but once upon a time I knew you, and I’m certain she was a lovely person inside and out. What a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gary

I was disappointed that the tipline is not manned. Regular office hours; leave a message. In this situation, it seems like some of the resources and money raised could be available to man that full-time so that police can interview and act immediately if somebody calls in with a tip.

It’s Saturday. My wife and I were driving on North Long Lake Road when we were tail-gated by a very aggressive driver in a 35 mph zone, then passed on a double yellow line. This was a dark blue pickup truck with a silver cap, meeting the description of the vehicle. We did call 911 with the license plate number and location. This guy deserves to be arrested for the way he drove today – although they never do that unless they see it themselves. He is the kind of driver who could be the one. I hope they get him soon.

Sincere condolences to Kelly’s family and friends.

mikeymoe237@mac.com

Gary, you bring up a good point. We will look into that.

Mary joslin

Paul, I am so very sorry for your loss! I could be wrong, but I believe you worked for me years ago at little Caesars. Regardless, my heart breaks for you and your family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I had a thought, since it was the 4th of July holiday and cherry fest, has anyone considered using some of the reward money towards placing ads for information in some of the bigger newspapers? Detroit free press, ect. ect. I feel that the entire nation needs to be aware so we can find this horrible person!

Whitney Tann

Miss you beautiful friend… One year ago today you were the most gorgeous bride, thank you for inviting me to share your love that day , and for all you’ve taught me now that you are gone. :( I’ll never forget you, I love you so much

JACKIE

I never knew any of you personally, but I can’t stop thinking about this terrible tragedy. My heart, my thoughts, my prayers go out to you all. I only hope that somehow you will find peace in the days to come! I’m so sorry!

Rebecca Glotfelty

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends. I did not know Kelly but it is evident that she Has positively influenced so many people in different ways. My her life become a symbol of things that are good. Peace, Rebecca

Joe &jean ceru

Dear Paul, we are so saddened for your loss. We will keep you in our thoughts & prayers. Love, Joe & Jean ceru.

Lori

Praying for the family and loved ones of Kelly.

Erin

I am so sorry for your loss. This is a tragedy that has shocked and saddened our community and even though I didn’t know Kelly personally, through your stories and touching and unforgettable memorial service I have come to know what a great person Kelly was and am grieving with you. Words cannot say how much my heart goes out to you, her friends and family but I know you have a community strong to help you through this.

This came across my email the other day and thought it might be a good way to raise awareness for Kelly and others. http://www.threadless.com/product/5093/Panda_Express/tab,guys/style,shirt

My thoughts are with you.

Shelly Hernandez

Hi Paul
    You don’t know me or my family but we know Kelly’s tragic ending as we have just visited TC earlier this week. You see, normally my entire family would go camping for a week or so in July, but this July was different as both my Mom and Sister were diagnosed with Cancer. I am actually with my Mom at Chemo now in Battle Creek. My older sister is who told us about Kelly and what happened. On Monday we walked Kelly’s last path. We prayed at the memorial. We found some glasses and placed them on the handle bars of the ghost bike. Are they Kelly’s ??
    The part that sticks with me is that I pointed out the necklaces and bracelets the were left there, on the way back to my car, my necklace that screws closed and that has never had an issue ..,. Fell off. I caught it of course and have it still. I asked my sister if that meant I was supposed to leave it for Kelly but she thinks Kelly just wanted to say thanks. She’s still there.
    On Tuesday night, my sister asked they I take her back to bring flowers. It was after 11:00 pm, of course at this point in my sisters life, I can not say no, so we set out looking for somewhere to buy flowers That didn’t work out so well but I had stopped on the way to Elk Rapids for cherries but bought Lavender too, that is what we brought to Kelly and left on the Bike. Again we prayed for Kelly and for you and for your community. I askedKelly to help us find that vehicle, does that light always go on and off in the ally ??

None the less, I pray you the best and I pray that justice be served.
    Please know that in what could be the last of my sisters life, she is praying and thinking of your Kelly.
    Xoxoxo.

CS

Paul and Family,

I do not know any of you, but cannot keep you and Kelly out of my mind. I am praying for you all!

Much love, Traverse City community member

PS- I have been thinking about this as well and was not sure who to ask or where to state, but does anyone know if a psychic has been used in the investigation. I’m not sure if I believe in them, but I am curious to know if this might help?

Karen Dunnam

As the administrator of the Michigan ghostbikes page on FB, in early July I reached out to the TC community for assistance. Several folks stepped up, donating a bike, painting it, and installing it. Reviewing the above comments, it appears to be providing comfort to family and friends.

Recently Kelly’s sister Nicole tracked me down to express the family’s viewpoint regarding the GB’s removal. They would prefer that it remain in place until a perp has been detained. I contacted the local caretakers, and they have returned it to the location.

For those who live or travel nearby, and would prefer to not see it, apologies.

K Wall

I’m glad you put the bike back. My husband and I visited TC in mid-August when we learned of this tragedy via a flyer at the Grand Traverse Pie Company. We continued to talk and think about how horrible the whole situation was for the duration of our trip. We went by the ghost bike feeling as though somehow we ‘owed’ it, or were somehow doing ‘something’ – perhaps it was taking a moment to offer our respect, grieve for those involved. I’m not sure I can accurately articulate, but somehow it felt the ‘right’ thing to do and I’m glad the bike is back. It just feels ‘right’, as though it ‘should’ be there.

Additionally, the clock tower has always been a very special symbol of TC to me – I’ve had a beautiful, professional, framed picture of it for many years. I’ll never be able to look at it and not see Kelly and Paul.

It’s been about a month that we’ve been back from vacation and I still think about that beautiful young woman. I see her and Paul in my mind’s eye in all those pics we came across in our effort to learn more . While I got online tonight purposefully looking for an update – and hoping for a suspect – I’m sadly disappointed. I sure hope this terrible situation does not go on endlessly without consequences for the person/s responsible for what happened.

Best to those of you closest and certainly still struggling.